NFL Mock Draft - 1st Round Scorecard


SCORECARD
The fun part is doing the mock draft, the not so fun part is looking at how wrong you were. Like I said, this was one of the toughest mock drafts I've done, and it was all out the window right away when the Bears traded up to take Mitchell Trubisky. For what it's worth, I had some really good picks, but some pretty bad misses as well. I'm going to take a look at three categories. Bulls eyes, close calls, and epic fails. First, I got 27 of the 32 players drafted in the first round correct. Let's take a look at the guys I had mocked for day 1 that are still available.

PLAYERS MOCKED THAT DIDN'T GET DRAFTED
14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Minnesota Vikings) – DALVIN COOK RB, FLORIDA STATE
"I think he is overrated, and there are some serious red flags on and off the field."
I should have had more faith in the NFL GM's. Cook is a player I thought would slip out of the first round, but I also thought the run on RB's in the top 10 may force a team like Philly to pull the trigger. Props to them selecting Derek Barnett, a guy many think is better than Myles Garrett.

23. New York Giants – CAM ROBINSON OT, ALABAMA
"The Giants have to get better at LT."
They do, and they still may in the second round. Cam Robinson was once expected to be the first offensive lineman taken, if not the first player taken back when the college football season started. I know the position was weak this year, but I'm kind of surprised to see him still on the board.

27. Kansas City Chiefs – ZACH CUNNINGHAM LB, VANDERBILT
"Someone they want will likely fall to them and give them huge value."
Kansas City wasn't looking for value in this first round, as they traded up to get Pat Mahomes. More on him later. Cunningham was a victim of the early offensive run of picks and will provide someone great value early in the second round.

29. Green Bay Packers – JOE MIXON RB, OKLAHOMA
"I think he gets picked in the first round, and I think Green Bay could take him."
I think I end up getting this pick right, just now with the first pick in second round. Green Bay traded back with San Francisco and will now select first on Friday night. I think the pick will be Joe Mixon. The Packers are smart, a lot of teams realize the optics of taking Mixon in the first vs the second, and Green Bay knew they could still get their guy and get some picks.

30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (trade with Steelers) – OBI MELIFONWU S, UCONN
"Don’t think this is just a matter of a combine hype machine either."
I mocked a trade with the Steelers here, so this pick didn't stand a chance. As far as Melifonwu, I think like Cunningham, his fall out of the first was just a matter of the way the draft fell as well. He'll be a great value pick at the top of the second round.



BULLS EYES
7. San Francisco 49ers (trade with Chargers) – SOLOMON THOMAS DE, STANFORD
"Solomon Thomas could be the second pick in this draft if the Niners stay put. Instead, they trade back with the Chargers, add extra picks, and still get their guy. Lynch will choose a fellow Stanford alum with his first choice as GM, while looking very smart doing it."
San Francisco actually one upped me and only traded back one spot with Chicago to pull off this move. Solomon Thomas was the guy they wanted and they knew they could trade back and still get him. I said Lynch would look smart, and boy does he. Any questions about his ability as a GM are now gone.

8. Carolina Panthers – CHRISTIAN MCCAFFREY, RB STANFORD
"He’s going to be a match up nightmare that helps Cam Newton a lot."
It's starting to sound like not only was Carolina ready to take McCaffrey at 8, but they may actually have him ranked above Fournette. This was a great pick for Carolina, because McCaffrey can be used in so many ways on offense to help Newton. Also, Ted Ginn left in free agency and Carolina has found their new returner.

18. Tennessee Titans – ADOREE JACKSON CB, USC
"I think the Titans are hoping a guy like Humphrey will slide to them, but Jackson is a guy moving up and I wouldn’t be shocked if he was chosen here."
I had the Titans pegged to go WR and then DB in the first round. They did that, and took the exact guy at 18 I expected. Jackson is a little raw, but he also adds extra value as a returner. He was rising up draft boards, and I thought this could be where he landed, and it was.


20. Denver Broncos – GARETT BOLLES OT, UTAH
"The Broncos need to improve what his rarely week in Denver, the offensive line. Possibly the best OT in this draft is sitting there at 20, so they take him."
My only concern was whether a team would trade up ahead of Denver to get Bolles, but luckily for Denver that didn't happen. Again, this is considered a weak offensive line class, and this is the latest the first lineman has been drafted, but so what. Bolles needs a little work, but this is a great pick at a position of need for Denver.

31. Atlanta Falcons – TAKK MCKINLEY LB/DE, UCLA 
"This would be an absolute steal for them. McKinley would give Atlanta a perfect partner in crime for Vic Beasley. These two could wreak havoc on QB’s for years to come."

The Falcons one upped me as well, as they traded up a few spots to get the guy they wanted. As I said in my mock, Atlanta was exposed in the Super Bowl, they need pass rushers and bodies that will get after the QB in the fourth quarter. McKinley is a guy on a mission, and Dan Quinn is putting together a defense that looks very familiar to the one he had in Seattle. Awesome pick for the Falcons.


CLOSE CALLS
1. Cleveland Browns – MITCHELL TRUBISKY QB, UNC
"They’ve spent the past few days figuring out how they can take Garrett and move up from #12 to take Trubisky. They’ve figured out they aren’t going be able to get high enough to take him, without paying a crazy price."
I should have stuck with my gut here and gone Myles Garrett. I talked myself into thinking the Browns would take Trubisky, but I knew they loved Garrett. Now, I think the Browns are the other team that were trying to move up to #2 and take Trubisky. It was going to take a high price, as the Bears proved. The 49ers got a haul from the Bears, and only had to move back one choice, so they weren't going to fall to 12 in a trade with Cleveland. The Browns didn't just want a QB, they wanted Trubisky. They showed that later when they traded out of a chance to take Deshaun Watson, and chose Jabrill Peppers towards the back end of the first. The Browns made the right choice here in my opinion, and had a great first round. I should have had more faith in the new leaders of the Browns, but it's Cleveland, I assumed they'd mess it up.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars - JONATHAN ALLEN DT, ALABAMA
"I’m torn between them pulling the trigger on Fournette, or going defense." 
This one is pretty simple, I was going down the right way, and made the wrong pick. I like Allen a lot, but I know Coughlin loves his bruising backs. Fournette is not ready to be an every down back, but he doesn't need to be. It will be interesting to see the rotation in Jacksonville. 

5. Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles Rams) – MIKE WILLIAMS WR, CLEMSON
"I think the most obvious positions they need to address with their 2 first round picks are DB and WR.

Defense is deep in this draft, and they will get someone good with their next pick."
As I mentioned above, I had the Titans pegged to go WR-DB, but I had them taking Mike Williams out of Clemson. Corey Davis is a solid all around receiver, but he has some question marks as well. I had Davis slotted here for awhile, but the more I watched Williams, the more I liked him. The Titans got what they hope is their future WR1 either way, only time will tell which one is better.

9. Cincinnati Bengals – HAASON REDDICK LB, TEMPLE
"WR is another possible choice, and I think John Ross could be the pick. A guy who can stretch the field across from AJ Green would be a great addition." 
I liked Reddick to the Bengals a lot, but my next choice was John Ross. With how deep this draft is on defense, the Bengals went the route we saw a lot of teams go, and they got a weapon on offense early. Like I said, I think this type of receiver will only help AJ Green, and Ross is a great addition. I didn't pull the trigger and make this pick, but I thought it could happen.

11. New Orleans Saints – MARLON HUMPHREY CB, ALABAMA
"I think the Saints go with who could be the best corner on the board after Lattimore..."
Well, even better for the Saints, Marshon Lattimore was still available. I had the Bills taking Lattimore right before New Orleans, but they traded out and got an extra pick from Kansas City. Saints had to be elated that the best corner in this draft fell to them at 11. I had them taking corner, just didn't think Lattimore would be there.

13. Arizona Cardinals – REUBEN FOSTER LB, ALABAMA
"If Reddick/Foster are here, they are the pick.  I could flip flop these picks between the Bengals and Cardinals, but right now this is my guess."
I had Haason Reddick of the board, so Foster was my pick here. I still think if Reddick was gone, we would have seen Foster go here. If I had pulled the trigger on the John Ross pick, I would have made this Reddick. Now, I still think this could have been a good spot for Foster to go, but I completely understand why they went with Reddick. Reddick is an absolute stud, and comes without the question marks attached to Foster. I still think the Reuben Missile Crisis is the best LB in this draft, but Reddick has gotten very close to him, and is going to be a great NFL player.

19. Pittsburgh Steelers (trade with Buccaneers) – OJ HOWARD TE, ALABAMA
"OJ Howard is on the board, and he’s the perfect blend of old and new school."
I had OJ Howard slipping in this draft, but I wasn't going to put him past the 19th pick. I was going to slot him with the Buccaneers and then, as I said in the mock, I couldn't help myself and mocked the trade with the Steelers. Tampa stayed put and made a great pick. Howard is a fantastic TE, that isn't scared to block. The idea of him with Mike Evans has to have Jameis Winston ready to go.

21. Detroit Lions –  TJ WATT LB, WISCONSIN 
"Lions need help on defense, especially at LB. I think they need to go a with a linebacker who can also rush the passer, check two boxes if you will."
The Lions checked a lot of boxes with this pick when they chose Jarrad Davis from Florida. I didn't think he would be there, as I had him being taken by Washington. Jonathan Allen slid to them at 17, which I think is why Detroit was able to make this pick. Davis is aggressive and violent, and could be the face of the center of that defense for a decade. I honestly think the Lions just got their Brian Urlacher or Ray Lewis. Bob Quinn is looking like a better hire every move he makes, and Lions fans should be excited. This was a fantastic pick.

25. Houston Texans – PAT MAHOMES QB, TEXAS TECH
"I think they want to take a QB they like early, and I think they like Mahomes. Watson could be the pick here if he’s still available, and there’s a chance he won’t be."
Houston was the third team to trade up and get a QB, when they swapped with Cleveland to choose Deshaun Watson. We'll never know if the Texans wanted Mahomes more or not, but him off the board at 10, Houston knew they had to move up if they were going to get one of the top 3 guys. Houston has passed on QB's in the past, and they weren't going to make that mistake again. They are arguably just a QB away, so they're in a good spot to take one early. I know all the positives on Watson, and the guy is definitely coming in with a chip on his shoulder now after being the third QB taken. Bill O'Brien has his QB now, so it's no excuses moving forward. This was a franchise defining move. 

26. Seattle Seahawks - Trade
"Seattle desperately needs to improve tackle play, but the two guys they want are gone. They take this opportunity to trade back to the 4Th pick of the second round where they can get a guy like Ramczyk from Wisconsin, and add some picks in the process."
Seattle indeed traded out of the first round, to the 2nd pick of the second round. They'll have a chance to take first round talent with Cam Robinson or Forrest Lamp from Western Kentucky.


EPIC FAILS
3. Chicago Bears – JAMAL ADAMS S, LSU
"The Bears signed Mike Glennon, so they can address another need here. Bears may take a QB later (spoiler), next year, but they are going to give Glennon a chance now."
I, like everyone else, got this pick wrong. There was a report a week or so ago saying some GM's were positive the Bears would take a QB. I thought it was smoke, I was wrong. Now, full disclosure, as a Bears fan I was furious when this went down. I've taken the night to analyze it, and have a better feeling for it. I was prepared for Jamal Adams or Solomon Thomas, so when it was Trubisky I was shocked. Bravo to them for keeping under wraps mostly. Obviously, they think Trubisky is their guy, so they did what they had to do to take him. People are looking at the trade the wrong way by saying the Niners weren't going to take him. No, they weren't, but they were going to trade the pick. Ryan Pace just bet his job on this move, because if it works he's a genius, if it doesn't he'll be out of a job.

10. Buffalo Bills – MARSHON LATTIMORE CB, OHIO STATE
"Lattimore could go as high as 2 in this draft, so the Bills should be stoked to get him."
The Bills were, not stoked. They traded this pick away with a chance to take Lattimore. However, they got extra picks in their trade with Kansas City and were able to take Tre'Davious White at 27. If this wasn't one of the strongest secondary classes ever, he may have been a top 10 pick. He has some things to work on, but so do the Bills. With the extra picks, they can continue to build.


14. Philadelphia Eagles (from Minnesota Vikings) – DALVIN COOK RB, FLORIDA STATE
"Philly needs to address the secondary and add some help on the edge. Instead, the fans will cheer because the Eagles will draft Dalvin Cook."
I addressed this above, but it goes here as well for a fail. Again, doubted the Eagles, but they made a great choice taking Barnett. Also, I was low on Cook, and so was the rest of the NFL. Eagles made the right choice here, I did not.

32. New Orleans Saints (from New England Patriots) – TACO CHARLTON DE, MICHIGAN
"Like I said I think the Saints go DE/DB or DB/DE, and this mock it has played out perfectly for them."
Pretty simple, I had nothing about offensive line, and Saints went OL. I don't love the pick considering they gave up Brandin Cooks for him, but they weren't going to get value in that sense anyway.


Comments

Popular Posts